Friday, May 11, 2012

Counting My Blessings

-WARNING-
(Word heavy post below. Lots of possible mispellings, punctuation errors and run on sentences. Its from the heart, for our babies when they get older.)

As a teenager, I used to cry out prayers, pleading with God for what I felt my ideal future would look like, and be. Longing to grow-up and start my dreams right away. I was very impatient and could not wait to get started on my future. However, I was a teen and would have to wait. All I could do is pray over and over and send my prayers up into the heavens, not knowing if they would be answered or not. I used to pray to live in a small town; live in my old Aunt and Uncle's house, that looked much like a cottage, it was very cute; be a stay-at-home mom; marry a man with integrity, heart, passion, who would love me and who I would equally adore and love, and  most of all, would be a wonderful father to his children. I also wanted to do something very important, with meaning, help people, and something that I would be passionate about. I am sure there were many more prayers in there that would probably fit with that song, you know, "thanking God for the unanswered prayers". Below I will share with you all of the BIG answered prayers that changed the course of my life.

10 years ago I married a wonderful man, that I didn't think could even exist. How lucky I am that he does!!! We moved into my aunt in uncle's home, the cottage one, in a small town. Just by chance it was up for sale when it was. We were part of a small community, and learned to slow down and smell the roses:) We finally became parents to our miracle baby that we tried for so long to have, and were blessed with our other miracle very soon after. I was even more blessed to be able to stay at home with them, and smell their roses:) I know, yuck, huh? But how awesome it was! Finances were always tight, the check book never added up, but we always made it, with some left over....Another "not possible" moment... made possible!

Today, we are back in the fast paced city, but love being surrounded by doting grandparents and aunt and uncles. The kids are in an amazing public school with probably more faith abounding then most private schools. The teachers teach our desires as parents- education is important but the character is what makes a person. We teach the other major key that makes a person- Jesus. They, in turn, have already blessed other kids with that truth.

With the kids in good hands, it's time for me to step out of the house and into the workforce. In our society today, education is crucial to get the good paying, job-of-your dreams... Not good news for someone who only has her associates in a Bachelor Degree, plus,  driven world. I'm a mediator by heart, and found KS is one of the few states that believes mediation is a gift you have or don't have, and just requires specialized training to mediate in the courts. I took that training, found out courts don't pay, but love mediating anyway. I have been able to help many and still got to sub in the kids' school.  To help take some financial weight off my hardworking husband's shoulders I thought I would just see what else is out there. One Saturday morning I woke up early, everyone else still sleeping and had a nudging feeling to log into Career Builder. First job on the list jumped out at me. Unfortunately, it was a job I was all too familiar with. Years earlier when I lost my best friend, my brother, to a DUI, we had a wonderful victim advocate to help guide us through the complicated, criminal court proceedings. It was his job that was now open. I thought there is no way this could be. I read the job description and it fit me perfectly, except for the fact I didn't have a Bachelor's degree. I applied for it anyway, expecting it not to be possible. A month later, HE, yet again, made the impossible, possible. Another great perk, I get to flex my time and get to do my most important job ever- being a Momma. When we can't be there for our babies, one of our doting loved one's fills that void...WHAT GIFTS!!!

Here today, I am here to say that God does listen. He is faithful. He provided many lessons and threw in his spins, twists and turns along the way. Some I would give anything to have undone... But, they were part of my learning moments, preparing my heart. Most people say you have to work hard to get where you want to go, but along with that, you have to let God lead...he will get you where he wants you. He makes the impossible, possible. At any moment, HE can take away all these gifts. If and when HE does, I will still be here singing HIS praises and counting HIS blessings.

Jesus, thank you... thank you for all your blessings...for the CROSS. 
John  17:7 "now they know that everything you have given me comes from you.."




No comments:

Post a Comment