Friday, March 19, 2010

Laundry Soap

The price of laundry soap is CRAZY...We've found it's almost cheaper to buy new clothes than it is to wash them!!! If your in the same boat, than here is a great laundry soap recipe that will save you and your family tons of money!!!
Ingredients Needed:
1/3 bar of Zote (wal-mart)
1/2 cup of washing soda (Dillions)
1/2 cup of borax-laundry booster (wal-mart)
lots of water
Or you can order it all online here
Supplies Needed:
a big tub/bucket
large sauce pan
empty 1 gal. milk jug

Instructions:

Grate soap into a large saucepan. Add 6 cups of water and heat just until soap melts. Add washing soda and Borax. Stir until dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into a bucket, add soap mixture and stir. Add 1gal(use milk jug) plus another 6 cups of water and stir.

My instructions say to let soap sit for about 24hrs stirring occasionally to keep gel consistency from lumping. But I'm not that patient. I stir while letting it cool then I pour into my used containers and shake container at each use. You can also save and store it in empty milk jugs too.

Use 1/2 cup per load

For those with front load washers this should be safe for you to use too. The manufactures prefer a certain brand for less suds. Too many suds can lock your washer up. This has little to no suds.

One batch fills these 4 (64 load) jugs! Each jug was about about $6-$7 of store bought laundry soap...Now, they are about 32cents per jug of homemade laundry soap!
Angie, thank you for taking the time to knock some cents~ and dollars back into our wallets:p Love it!!!

1 comment:

  1. HOLY COW... OKAY I am a believer.. I think it was seeing those laudry jugs lined up!! I WILL try this this weekend.. Thanks for the step-by-step!!

    ReplyDelete